Frequently Asked Questions
Break Out Zone offers authentic live Escape Room and Murder Mystery Game adventures. We were the first Escape Room game facility to open in Durham Region. With our first location opening in Whitby in 2015. In 2016 we decided to try something different and get away from the standard warehouse environment (which most escape the room game facilities use) and move to our current location Grimstone Manor Oshawa (also the first to open in Oshawa). In 2017 S. Caper’s Break Out Zone launched Murder Mystery parties, being the first and only facility in Durham Region to offer these types of parties.
We gear our games to families and groups for team building activities.
Grimstone Manor was built in 1923 (post WW1) in what is now considered downtown Oshawa, across the street from the public Library.
A year after Grimstone Manor was built Oshawa received “City” status. Grimstone Manor has been evaluated and registered under Heritage Oshawa.
Generations of the St. Clair’s resided in the Manor until the late 1970’s when it was sold after the passing of one of the eldest residents.
Several members of the St. Clair family passed away in the Manor from lengthy illnesses or unknown causes. Numerous of other families lived in the Manor for short times until it was zoned for commercial use in the early 2000’s, after being vacant for several years.
Break Out Zone moved into the Manor in March 2016, after being vacant again for just over 2 years.
Break Out Team and customers have witnessed unexplained events and believe that some of the original residents might still be looking over Grimstone Manor.
The Paranormal Seekers have named Grimstone Manor as the most actively haunted location in Durham Region.
(Names have been changed to protect the privacy of the families)
Most of our escape rooms are considered generation III style games. They include: word, number, common knowledge and electronic technical puzzles are included within our story based games.
Our puzzles are changed often, so it is difficult to publish specific difficulty ratings. Difficulty ratings are provided by our players at the end of their experience. This information is available on the Room Information Page or in the game information on our booking page. On average our escape rooms are rated at a moderate difficulty level.
Break Out Zone offers moderate difficulty games for intermediate guests for family and team building activities.
We make this information available on our website on the room information page. It is indicated as “Puzzle Release Date”.
We also post new puzzle information on our Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Our puzzles and themes are flipped ever 2-3 months. For this reason, our themes may not have as much detail as other facilities that flip their puzzles and themes once or twice a year.
Depending on the theme the room might be dark. It is best to check the room details available in the game information on our booking page.
Our regular escape room experiences are a maximum of 60 minutes and most groups escape within 40-60 minutes. However, some groups escape faster or not at all. Our youth escape room experiences are a maximum of 45 minutes.
A Public Escape Game Reservation is a booking during our Public Operational Hours (groups of 2 to 8 players). Like all our activities, Public Escape Game Reservations are private. Only the members of your group will participate in your game.
A Group Function Escape Game Reservation is a booking anytime Monday through Sunday, 9:00 am-12:00 am (with larger groups of 6+ players), usually for Birthday Parties, Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties, Team Building Activities, Social Events, Etc.
A Group Function Reservation Online Request Form (available on our website) must be submitted for all Group Function Reservations.
Once we receive this a member of our management team will contact the organizer to confirm the details and approve the Group Function Reservation.
Yes, our Party Room can be booked for Group Functions, such as Team Building Activities, Birthday Parties, Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties, Social Events, etc. There will be a $40.00+HST fee for the use of our Party Room during our Public Reservation Operational Hours.
We do not offer food, beverages (other than bottled water) or party packages, but you’re welcome to bring/order your own (alcoholic beverages are not permitted for Escape Game Parties). We just ask that you take the bigger garbage with you.
Most of our escape game rooms hold 2 to 8 players. We recommend group sizes of 4-6 players. Groups of more than 6 players may take away from the puzzle experience.
If groups have more than 9 players for an escape game we suggest submitting a Group Function Reservation Request (available on our website) to book 2 or more rooms. We can alter our room start times this way so that all rooms can start at the same time.
Break Out Zone DOES NOT put you into an activity with other people. You will only be in the room with the people you attend with.
- Regular escape game admission is $25.00 + hst per player, per game.
- 2-6 players: $25.00 + hst
- 7-14 players: $20.00 + hst (20% discount)
- 15+ players / Corporate / Non-Profit discounts are available. Please contact us for a quote.
- Youth escape game admission is $12.00 + hst per player, per game. This price ONLY applies to our youth escape game theme (currently The Gingerbread Hag). Groups with 3 or more youth will receive 1 ADULT admission free.
- Murder Mystery party admission is $50.00 + hst per guest.
- Paranormal Tour admission is $40.00 + hst per guest.
Admission fees are normally due at the time of your reservation (unless specified).
We reserve the right to apply a security deposit to your reservation.
If no security deposit is required and the group does not attend their scheduled reservation, the person that reserved the reservation will be invoiced for the full game fees.
- Escape Games: We suggest players be 10 years of age or older, due to the complexity of the puzzles. However, we have had as young as 6 years old participate in our escape rooms (with an adult present). Players 17 years of age or younger require an adults consent to participate in an escape room.
- Youth Escape Games: Our Youth Escape Games are created for players 6-10 years of age. We do recommend that an adult be present in the game to supervise.
- Murder Mystery Parties: We suggest players be 16 years of age or older to participate in Murder Mystery Parties.
- Paranormal Tours: The Paranormal Seekers require guests to be 18 years of age or older to participate in an investigation. Guests that are 17 years of age or older must have an adult present during the investigation.
Mostly yes, players that are pregnant will find nothing that will restrict them from participating in our activities. We will put warnings in the game information for themes that are not appropriate for players that are pregnant.
As our facility was built in 1923 we are unable to offer a completely accessible friendly facility. There are stairs to get into our facility and most of our activities.
Players are normally not required to climb, crawl or jump as part of the activities at Break Out Zone.
No excessive force is required or to be used in our activities. The person that made the reservation will be held responsible for any damages to the room or props caused by excessive force of players during their game.
- Escape Games: Yes, we have help buttons in the room that groups can use as often as they would like. We will provide you with directions on how to solve the puzzle, without giving you the answer.
- Murder Mystery Parties: One of our team members will be present during your game to assist you at all times.
- Escape Games: Yes, a group waiver must be completed by the organizer or an adult prior to the start of the reservation.
- Murder Mystery Parties: Only the event organizer is required to agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- Paranormal Tours: Yes, a waiver must be completed by the guest or an adult prior to the start of the reservation.
Please tell one of our Team Members if something is damaged during your experience. As long as the damage does not occur due to negligence you will not be held responsible for damaged items.
For your safety, we do not actually lock the doors during escape games. Players are able to exit the room at any time, without restrictions. If a player leaves the room they will not be allowed to return back into the room, however, the rest of the group can continue playing. No refund is available once a game has started.
The cancellation policy for each of our activities is different. Please ensure you have reviewed the Terms & Conditions you agree to as part of your reservation.
- Public Escape Games: 3 hours cancellation notice is required for public escape game reservations. We offer a self-serve option in our reservation confirmation e-mail which allows organizers to cancel their reservation information 3 hours prior to their reservation start time.
- Group Function Escape Games: Reserve hours cancelled with 8 or more days’ notice will be subject to no fees due, Reservations cancelled with 5-7 days’ notice will be subject to 50% of fees due and Reservations cancelled with 4 or less days’ notice will be subject to 100% of fees due. Cancellations/Changes made for Group Function Escape Games using the Bookeo Self-Seve System will not be accepted (as per the Terms & Conditions).
- Murder Mystery Parties: Reservations cancelled with 8 or more days’ notice will be subject to no fees due, Reservations cancelled with 5-7 days’ notice will be subject to 50% of fees due and Reservations cancelled with 4 or less days’ notice will be subject to 100% of fees due. Cancellations/Changes made for Murder Mystery Parties using the Bookeo Self-Seve System will not be accepted (as per the Terms & Conditions).
- Paranormal Tours: Reservations cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice will be subject to 100% of fees due. Cancellations/Changes made for Paranormal Tours using the Bookeo Self-Seve System will not be accepted (as per the Terms & Conditions).
Street parking (to the north and south of the facility) is free after 6:00 pm Monday through Friday, anytime on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
We request that you do not use the small parking lot behind our facility.